Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Gracious Gifts

Registry registering. That is what this post is about.

FI and I originally wanted to to a honeymoon registry, even those though are frowned upon in the wedding community. We actually came up with the idea before most of the wedding registry websites were available to use, and thought that we could notify our guests that we were looking for honeymoon location suggestions and ideas, figuring that if they had been anywhere, they could share their favorite spots for us to check out.

After reading many different viewpoints, we figured that this may not be for everyone, and there will be some guests invited that will want to give a more traditional wedding gift.  FI and I have lived together for almost five years, and have a lot of what we need. In addition to that, we are not currently living in a place we own, so decorating for the space is difficult, and doing so would not be something I would like to invest pieces in that I may not like in a different room.  Therefore, we didn't really think that having a traditional registry was something we wanted.

Along these same lines, I hate being the center of attention. I really, really dislike being in the spotlight. In fact, even though I was a music major in college, my least favorite thing was performing solo.  So, having a bridal shower, and being the center of attention is not something that I want. And I have already voiced my opinion about this, stating that I don't want a bridal shower, but then that brings up other questions about how people give gifts.  The thing is, FI and I aren't expecting people to give gifts, although it is pretty likely that they will.  We are inviting these people to our wedding to celebrate with us and because we want them to be with us on this special day, not for the gifts they are giving.

So should I just suck it up and have a bridal shower? Or find an alternative means for people giving gifts? Am I being selfish, or am I being reasonable.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover